Thursday, November 29, 2007

Boy Wonder


I knew we were in good hands yesterday for my little guy's surgery. And I knew having tonsils and adenoids removed was a fairly easy procedure. I was confident that surgery would be quick and recovery would mainly take place at home. But being prepared doesn't necessarily fend off a mother's emotions. I have to admit that I held it together well until I saw my baby in his yellow hospital slippers post op. That's when the tears came. Tears of relief, joy and pent up anxiety. Whew, I'm so glad that this chapter is done.

But back to boy wonder...my little guy was the bravest little guy imaginable. He smiled and followed all his instructions. There is something so special about a child that is calm in the storm. When it was time to go into surgery the nurse asked:

"PJ, would you like to bring anything special with you?"

"Ummm, no" he said and gave me a quick hug before leaving without his coveted animal blankie that he can't sleep without.

Did I say that I was glad this was over? Sniff sniff.