Monday, November 12, 2007

The Wonder of Whidbey



To spend the weekend with two of my dearest, oldest friends and their children was perfect. To spend it on Whidbey Island was magical. Despite the fact that we had a total of six little ones with us and a very naughty dog, we were able to pack in quite a trip! The ferry ride over was way too short! "We didn't even see one whale!" protested my daughter. Twenty minutes later we arrived on the island and we're happy to report that it was really easy to drive our car onto the ferry! We toured Coupeville on foot and got to see Rosie- a 33 ft. grey whale that washed up on shore in '98. How cool is that?! The boys set out on their own GPS treasure hunt through Ebey's landing and found some pretty cool loot. The girls sat in the car, partially frozen. I did however meet someone on the beach as I was lamenting over my recent romantic trip with my husband. (I was watching the ships and ferries set off through the passage on their way up to Victoria and Alaska). This man freelances for National Geographic and asked permission to shoot some of the kids on the beach. He let me try out his VERY expensive lens and take some shots. Mind you I didn't have my camara all set up well- I was just experimenting- but this close up is from across the sound soooo far away. This lens was AMAZING! Photography 101...here I come!