Monday, January 14, 2008

St. Anthony's I Owe You

From the backseat of the van yesterday I heard a little voice asking for a pen. I handed one back not really thinking much about it. Soon after we had arrived at Mass and headed in to find a seat. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my daughter affixing a stamp from her purse onto a church envelope. She handed the envelope to her daddy with an enormous smile on her face. No more than two minutes later, she was gone- following the kids to their own liturgy downstairs.

"Did you see this?!" whispered my husband. He bent the envelope so it opened and in it was a note that read like a check;

I Owe You, St. Anthony $6.00

Signed and dated, too. Along with the note was a five dollar bill and a buck.

When I told my little saint-in-the making how proud I was at bedtime she just looked at me and said, "Mom, St. Anthony has found so many things for me- it was time I paid him back".

You know the biggest lesson I learned from this was that she went all day long without saying one word about it. She needed no praise and no recognition. She just did what she needed to do...

No comments: