Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Guardian

Who doesn't love angels? I have devoured all things angel for years. I love to hear personal stories and I like to share them, too.

When I was in my early 20's, I lived in an apartment by myself for the first time in Kansas City. I thought my meager pay was a big deal and I drove a modest car that was an even bigger deal to me.

One cold winter night I was driving through a part of the city that very few people live in. It was an industrial area, run down and dark. Zipping along the highway under a bridge, heat blasting, music playing- everything came to a slow halt. The road was empty as my little car died in the middle. Sudden chill crept in and back in those days I had no cell phone. I sat there for a minute in the dark and the quiet and muttered some panicked words. Not remembering specifics- it was probably something like, "Oh God, what do I do??".

In my rear view mirror I saw the lights. Coming up behind me slowly. I didn't see police lights on top and I got scared. Really scared. A person got out and I couldn't tell if they were man or woman. "Why don't you warm up in my car until help comes" the voice said. And I did it. I didn't even think twice. In my normal, everyday life I would never do anything like that. I would sit and freeze in the car rather than go with a stranger. Was I just young and naive??

Sitting in the woman's car (yep, determined the sex) I kept my eyes straight forward-focusing on my dead car ahead of us. She was a smoker and the air was thick mixed with the heat. Country music played on the radio. I haven't got a clue how the tow truck arrived nor how long it took. I have very little memory of this night. But I do recall something terribly relevant. As I was bailing out of this woman's car that night she said, "Oh, let me give you my card". I accepted the card, thanked her profusely and went on my way. In the safety of my apartment that night I read the business card. The mystery woman owned an angel store many, many miles away. At that moment, it all became clear.

Happy Feast of the Guardian Angels to all!

No comments: