Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Being Still

It happens to other people all the time but rarely to me. I have read countless times on my regular blog lineup how people have prayed and miraculously right in front of them is His answer. Perhaps it's a rarity for me because I'm expecting billboard sized answers. Maybe I've been overlooking the subtle little messages all along.

We went to the cathedral again in the city this Sunday for Mass. Like many moms, Mass can be difficult with little ones in constant motion. I sometimes hold my breath and lack focus while I anticipate which exit we might need to flee from. So in usual fashion, my husband and I played tag team trying to get a feisty two year old to hush and be still. All the emotions that I fight on a daily basis were starting to surface and I bit my tongue hard to stop the tears. Neither of us was really "there" and when it got too difficult, Josh took the little guy out.

Peace and quiet - time for communion. Upon returning to our kneeler I heard it. The choir behind us broke into what I was unknowingly waiting for. My subtle little message:

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side!
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heav'nly friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past;
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
Be still, my soul: the hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

No comments: