Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Old Man and His Garden




We paid a visit to our elderly neighbor Frank this morning. He promised to show us around his garden anytime after 5am and before 10pm. Pretty easy hours to work with, I say. Frank's garden is his passion. His wife has died and he has no children so his garden is his most proud accomplishment for the time being. How kind he was to explain every little detail of planting and growing and lots of little mini lessons that I just soaked up.

After about an hour in the glorious morning sun it was time for us to go but not empty handed by any means. I loved that my little guy fell for Frank. With a 90 year difference between the two, you wouldn't think there would be much compatibility. But when my son reached up and gently touched Frank's hand and sweetly gave him a flower- my heart melted. "Frank, this is for you. You can keep it if you like". If only he knew how special that moment was.

We also parted with a bag chock-full of beets, onions the size of my head, ripe tomatoes, more zucchini, and a fresh loaf of zucchini bread. Funny enough, we had brought him a fresh loaf in which he replied, "I just finished making 32 loaves, I can compare your recipe". Boy, I have a lot to learn.

1 comment:

Regina said...

seriously, now i think you are just starting to brag ;)
i need me a frank, or at least to go to the farmers market
r