Friday, June 13, 2008

It's Not Just the Trees and Grass

Life where I live is a little greener than I'm used to. In the past seven months I have slowly switched over to all natural cleaning products (except Oxyclean, it's very necessary with copious amounts of mud). Now I buy natural, meaning no chemical additives- dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, cleaning sprays, shower cleaner...all of it and I feel good about using them. My years of insanity with bleach are over and I'm sure my lungs are thankful for it.

Where am I going with this? Well recently at a friend's house we got on the topic of just how many diapers one child will go through. And what happens to those diapers when their off our little one's tushies. I got to thinking that I'm sick and tired of paying for diapers that sometimes get worn for such a brief period of time- it seems oh so wasteful. I was totally inspired by ready Sarah's post but I don't know if I'm ready to conquer my own sewing of these cute little things! She has great links though, like the Indian prefold cotton diapers. Can you guess what I'm ordering??

My little guy will soon be ready to move on to being a big kid but for now, I'm not buying one more landfill accessory. If my friend's can do it- so can I! (Yes, it's sort of like a bandwagon, want a ride?) My friend Molly has used them with all three of her little ones and she survived so I think I can do this for the next few months. Plus, it may help my little guy wean off the "diaper thing"- we'll see.

No comments: