Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Crowning Mary

Growing up as a Catholic we went to Mass and took Catechism classes but I never attended Catholic school. When my daughter started parochial school at 5, I learned about May Crowning for the first time.

With May being Mary's Month, the popularity of crowning Mary with flowers in honor of her virtues began pre-Vatican II. Today, in many parishes the tradition continues. You can read more about it here.

I was sad to think that my kids now being homeschooled wouldn't get to partake in this beautiful celebration until a new friend here invited us to their home. Sunday my family and about 100 other homeschoolers gathered. We processed through their property (yep, it's a big one) singing and down into the garden where everyone placed a flower around our Blessed Lady. And while everyone prayed the rosary, I chased my busy little man around the fortress- business as usual. The next few hours were spent eating and playing and enjoying the company of so many beautiful families.


No comments: